Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you disable ping requests on a Windows XP computer?

I ran a security test on my computer and all ports are stealthed, but the computer did send back a ping request. The tester that I used said that this is actually not something that you want.



I checked in the Windows firewall settings, but I don't have the box checked. So I am thinking that it is set-up through my router. My router is a DI-604 E3. I would like to be able to disable the ping requests if at all possible.



These are the only two firewalls on my machine. The router hardware firewall and Windows own Firewall.



How do you disable ping requests on a Windows XP computer?nortonantivirus



I have checked my router log and found many ping attempts,which is ok by me,Since the router is a hardware firewall.As long as they cant penetrate into my system.



Go to www.grc.com and click on the SHIELDS UP link.this site is loaded with info that will help you.



How do you disable ping requests on a Windows XP computer?spyware



In Windows Firewall go to the Advanced tab. Make sure the interface that you're actually scanning is checked. Click the Settings button next to the interface. Go to the ICMP tab. Make sure all checkboxes are NOT checked. The ping is actually the first one (incoming echo request).



To really check this you should run a scanner from another computer (loopbback connections might perform differently). You should also make sure you're scanning the right interface.



You should also check the ICMP setting on your router.
You should have the ICMP setting on your windows firewall checked and on the router configure blocking of ICMP requests. I don't know how you do it on the Dl-604 but am sure there is a way.
I think you need to talk to your router manufacturer customer service before you do something like this. They undoubtedly have a website, or you will have an 800 number in your paperwork. Call them first.
Set that up on your router...it depends on your model where it is located.

No comments:

Post a Comment